A study in Emerald

Forum pubblico dedicato alle iniziative ed alle comunicazioni della nostra affiliata bolognese.

Moderatori: ZetaZeta, corwin, Guglia, Zot, stec74

Messaggioda aledrugo1977 » 23 mag 2013, 12:07

Se voi ci siete io ci sono...se voi non ci siete io non ci sono 8)

Ditemi qualcosa :grin:
Offline aledrugo1977
Goblin sondaggisticus
Goblin sondaggisticus

Top Author 2 Star
TdG Auctioneer Level 1
TdG Editor

Goblons: 3,440.00
Mercatino: aledrugo1977
Starcraft Fan Sono stato alla Gobcon 2016 Il trono di spade Fan Sono un Sava follower

Messaggioda Fabpat » 23 mag 2013, 12:08

se i riscontri sono negativi, forse conviene abbandonare l'iniziativa?

Comunque la partita la print'n play la possiamo organizzare lo stesso :-)

Fabio
Offline Fabpat
Novizio
Novizio

Goblons: 100.00
Mercatino: Fabpat

Messaggioda aledrugo1977 » 23 mag 2013, 12:14

Eh se mi dite che è una porcata direi allora anche no!

Dei vostri giudizi io mi fido come se lo provassi io.
Aspetto direttive.
Offline aledrugo1977
Goblin sondaggisticus
Goblin sondaggisticus

Top Author 2 Star
TdG Auctioneer Level 1
TdG Editor

Starcraft Fan Sono stato alla Gobcon 2016 Il trono di spade Fan Sono un Sava follower

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 23 mag 2013, 14:12

Io ho letto qualcosa qua:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1415 ... in-emerald
qualcuno ne parla bene, qualcuno meno. Chiaramente non avendolo provato in prima persona, non ne ho idea... Fabpat, che se lo è fabbricato, probabilmente è la persona che ne sa più di tutti :)
Comunque da là un parere positivo:

"So far, I really enjoy this game and remain quite excited for it. I say “so far” because it’s pretty opaque in figuring out what the best course of action is, and it remains to be seen if the game holds together with all that is has going on. A couple friends of mine are also high on it while a couple others are undecided pending further plays. I thought I’d drop a few thoughts of my impressions so far. I’m hoping to play the game several more times before the KS campaign ends, though I’m already planning on getting it (just waiting for my friend to decide if he wants a copy so we can get a 2 pack). I haven’t played it near enough to determine if it’s as balanced as I want it to be or if it’s prone to fragile plays, so all my thoughts are impressions up to my limited experience with the game.

First off, the hidden role aspect doesn’t seem to be something that is meant to endure for the entire game such that at the end you reveal with, “Surprise!” Rather, it seems to be a launching off point for the game that informs the first part before you get into the end game which is the main attraction here. Like a lot of games, you're pulled in many directions and can’t do it all so it’s about prioritizing. You only get two actions to try and claim cards/cities while blocking others, and you can never place influence and then take a card on the same turn; you have to wait till your next turn and take a card as you’re very first action. By then, somebody may very well have blocked you in some way. This construct creates tension and makes the first part of the game about observing which cards people are going for as some cards are clearly meant for one side vs the other. You can certainly go for a card that the other side needs (we had a vicious battle for Sherlock in a recent game between players of opposing sides), but it does cost precious resources. I find the first part of the game very interesting in how I go for cards that help me but don’t necessarily give away information.

The gameplay felt a bit overwhelming at first to all of us – you have 12 cards and 12 cities available to try and claim but you want to be sure to block others as well. Figuring out how to manage your precious influence cubes while maintaining your own momentum and stemming others’ keeps you on your toes. Then you start adding in some advanced actions to your deck and have the deck management of cycling through, and the whole experience is very entertaining for me. So far I’m constantly engaged when it’s someone else’s turn as I’m scanning the immense amount of game state information to parse out my next best move.

As the game goes on, you start to suss out who’s on which side; sometimes a player will just go for it and start moving up the VP track of their side, and that for me is when the fun really begins. The end game victory conditions create some very intricate and tense situations. Seems to me that the race isn’t just to be in first place but to not be in last place such that people should be very conscious of keeping reasonable pace with everyone else (mostly through the acquisition of cities as you gain/opponent loses when you take it over from them). If you’re not familiar:

Even sides – team with lowest combined scores is eliminated then highest scoring player remaining wins
Odd sides – team with lowest scoring player is eliminated (all players!); highest scoring player remaining wins

Here’s an example of how that can play out:
Game 3 (4p) – I thought I was the only Restorationist as one player was playing both sides, both hiding and assassinating a royal. Then she went mad and revealed herself as a Loyalist and I realized I was the only one on my team. Two of the Loyalists were near the 28 point end game victory condition; each got up as high as 26 points but couldn’t quite get over the top. As I was not in last place, I was able to use my main agent to assassinate a royal, pull a sanity chit and go mad, killing my agent and ending the game – but I won posthumously (as per the rules for odd-sided teams above).

A concern, of course, is that a player in 3rd place on a 3P team may feel all they can do is king make, but my hope is that a group who’s played it a couple of times will learn to help their comrades if they’re way out in front of VPs to keep their team from being eliminated. The player in third should then start moving back up into contention, perhaps within striking distance. This dynamic in the scoring means that your loyalties are not always drawn along strict lines; it may be in your best interest to help someone on your side vs always attacking the player(s) on the other side. As the player in third on a 3P team, you may find your enemy is now your friend. It’s one of those games where who is going to end the game and when becomes an increasingly exciting proposition.

As to other concerns, I’m finding it a lot of fun, but at least one of my friends was wondering if experienced players can get enough control to feel like they’re guiding their destiny vs the game being musical chairs and the music stops and somebody wins. I will also say that we’ve only had Vampires come out once and they were used mildly before the game ended, and we’ve not seen the Zombies yet. I don’t know the effect they’ll have. As 12 of the cards are not in play each game, I expect each play to be wildly different. That’s either a feature (if it’s balanced variety) or a flaw (if it creates fragility); in our first game, neither of the Hide Royalty cards were in play, but I can report the Loyalist player still managed to win.

I’m not the best at extrapolating how a game will play from just reading the rules so I decided to go ahead and make my own PnP version to try it out. The game plays very differently than how it might have seemed to me from just the rules. There’s nothing dry or dull here, the game conveys great tension in the way you play offense and defense, manage your secret as long as is feasible, and then rush to end the game on your terms.

As a point of relativity, I didn't like Moongha Invaders b/c I found the micro turns to be a put off especially relative to the theme. I wanted to do something cool and clever, move monsters and make big attacks, but that game only allowed me to do very small things on my turns and my opponents could anticipate what I was about to do next. This game is not like that. In this one, you can make clever moves like the one I described above to end the game on your terms, you can assassinate other players' agents, and otherwise swing the balance with surprise moves. Let's hope it all holds together.

Edit: I forgot to mention that in my 4P game example above, before I did my winning move, I dipped down into last place. One of the Loyalists realized she could win the game by assassinating my agent and ending the game in her team's (and thus her) favor. She sent an agent to do the job only I had that agent as one of my double agents, revealed him, and averted the assassination. "

e uno un po' meno:

"this useful.

Some elements just need to be ditched completely (like the zombies - unneeded complexity). I wasn't too enthralled with the assassinate/hide royalty & agent parts either - again, too much added complexity for too little strategic payout.

The team dynamic is a bit weird - I don't know if I like it or not after a single play. Scalability is just awful though. It really needs to have some locations & cards eliminated for smaller player games - otherwise the player interaction is too low. The team dynamic has something to do with this (as you're never sure if you're actually doing something that, ultimately, causes you to lose). In fact, the whole city control and gain card thing needs to be reworked - it was really silly to have to look through someones deck to draw out the card in the middle of play. The city should really just stay out in play and give an overall synergy benefit of some kind - like counting as an influence marker to purchase cards on that location.

In short, too much complexity that needs to be weeded out, as it adds very little to overall game play.

The overall game certainly has something going for it though. The fight/bid for cities & cards is probably the best part of the game, and yet there is not enough forced competitiveness going on there. There should be more things in the game to help facilitate this interaction. I didn't feel that enough cards built upon each other and with the locations. "
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Goblons: 0.00
Mercatino: Tanelorn

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 24 mag 2013, 15:02

A sorpresa sta raggiungendo anche l'ultimo stretch goal con le 8 carte bonus, mancano circa 3500 pound e sono rimaste ancora 7 ore (il tempo scade alle 22 italiane di questa sera). Decidete voi cosa volete fare, se siete per il sì io resto della partita :)
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Messaggioda aledrugo1977 » 24 mag 2013, 15:14

A me va sempre bene.
Offline aledrugo1977
Goblin sondaggisticus
Goblin sondaggisticus

Top Author 2 Star
TdG Auctioneer Level 1
TdG Editor

Messaggioda Fabpat » 24 mag 2013, 15:23

anche per me va bene, solo come vi dicevo serve che qualcuno di voi proceda al pledge perchè questo mese la mia carta di credito implora pietà e non potrei aggiungere l'intera somma :roll:

Fabio
Offline Fabpat
Novizio
Novizio

Messaggioda aledrugo1977 » 24 mag 2013, 15:31

Io passerò da Bologna i primi di giugno (...spero).
Posso però effettuare ricariche postepay o pagamenti paypal a partire da lunedì.
Offline aledrugo1977
Goblin sondaggisticus
Goblin sondaggisticus

Top Author 2 Star
TdG Auctioneer Level 1
TdG Editor

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 24 mag 2013, 15:33

Io non ho la carta di credito... allora siamo messi bene, insomma :D
Resta solo bruces sempre che legga in tempo il thread, possa fare il pledge e riesca a farlo in tempo!
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 24 mag 2013, 19:05

ho mandato un sms a bruces, gli ho chiesto se ha tempo, voglia e mezzi se può farlo lui! Mancano poco più di 1000 pounds per avere tutti i bonus e se lo facciamo 220 li mettiamo già noi...
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Messaggioda gavhriel » 24 mag 2013, 19:08

Se non arriviamo a 120.000 per 220 sterline sappiamo a chi dare la colpa XD XD XD

EDIT: no seriamente il counter sta a £119,797, con un pledge da 6 si fa anche l'ultimo stretch goal
Immagine
Offline gavhriel
Onnisciente
Onnisciente

TdG Moderator

Goblons: 62,788,000.00
Utente Bgg: gavhriel
Twitter: gavhriel83
Mercatino: gavhriel
Sei nella chat dei Goblins Ho partecipato alla Play di Modena Sono stato alla Gobcon 2016 Sono un Sava follower

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 24 mag 2013, 19:23

mi ha appena scritto che non riesce neanche lui... peccato, ma comunque credo che ormai al pledge ci si arrivi!
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Messaggioda Fabpat » 24 mag 2013, 19:26

perderlo per questo mi secca... A morte la carta di credito! Lo faccio io! :evil: ;p
Offline Fabpat
Novizio
Novizio

Messaggioda Tanelorn » 24 mag 2013, 19:31

Fabpat, ti restituisco il dovuto il prima possibile! Adesso avviso anche Marco che lo fai tu.
p.s.: stretch goal raggiunto!!!
Offline Tanelorn
Grande Saggio
Grande Saggio

Messaggioda Fabpat » 24 mag 2013, 19:36

ma la faccetta demoniaca era contro la carta di credito non contro di voi :-D
Offline Fabpat
Novizio
Novizio