From the publisher:
All roads lead to Rome, the greatest city of the Ancient World. Anything you desire is available in this city of over a million people. It’s all here: goods from far off Parthia; pottery from Brittania; food from Egypt; vile tomes from Syria; and murderous cults from Africa. The mighty Empire is pressed on all sides by foes, both mundane and otherworldly. Forces within the Empire itself are growing in power, drawing on the most ancient of horrors to corrupt it from within. Welcome to Rome.
Cthulhu Invictus is a new setting for Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu RPG. Players take on the roles of Roman citizens seeking to protect the Empire from the horrors of the Cthulhu Mythos and ancient myth. Cthulhu Invictus includes an adventure to jump start your Roman campaign, a large fold out map of the Roman empire, 41 creatures and entities from folklore and ancient mythology, 12 new cults, 21 new occupations, and much more. Requires the Call of Cthulhu rulebook for play.
From the authors:
Differences bewteen the Cthulhu Invictus monograph and this release include:
Here's a quick rundown of some of the material Andi and I added to the distribution book.
• 24,000 more words on the world outside of Rome.
• 10 new weapons.
• New poisons and medicinal herbs.
• A more in-depth look at Roman Religion.
• A study of the Roman opinion on magic.
• 5 new spells based on actual Rome spells.
• 9 new tomes and a short piece on Roman writing materials. That way, you won't have a lot of leather bound octavos floating around your ancient world.
• Expanded information about Roman currency, including the spintriae.
• 21 new occupations.
• 12 new cults and secret societies including the bloody Sicarii and mysterious Kukeri. Some of these are based on real secret societies from the ancient world. Others are inspired by Mythos fiction or Mythos canon.
• 41 new creatures drawn from the folklore of the ancient world suitable for Call of Cthulhu inspired horror or BRP sword-and-sandals campaigns. Battle the monstrous Blemmyes in Kush or uncover the secretive Zaratan wherever it roams.
• A new 8,000 word scenario set in Palmyra, City of Palms.
• Numerous historical asides.
• A bibliography!!!
Here's a rundown of what's in the monograph, but not in the distribution work.
• The large number of typos. To be fair, we wanted to get the monograph out in time for Origins, so there was time to write, layout, and then print but not enough time to give it the proof-reading it deserved. Some will still have slipped through. That's unavoidable, but hopefully they've been minimized.
• Morituri Te Salutamus
• Chuma Invictus
• The quotes. There just wasn't enough room.
- Cthulhu Invictus (2nd edition)